Makes 12-15 latkes
- 6 potatoes (baking potatoes with brown skin my favorite)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Plus! dill, apple sauce, creme fraiche, caviar
- Wash potatoes, keep skin on if you want.
- Cut lengthwise into six wedges.
- Push potatoes through food processor tube using shredding blade in batches until all potatoes are finished
- Drain the shredded potatoes in a colander lined with a kitchen towel.
- Wrap the towel around potatoes and squeeze as much liquid as possible out of them through the cloth.
- Transfer the shredded, drained potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in egg and salt until incorporated
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a 12-inch pan over medium-high heat until glistening
- Form a patty of the potato mixture, using your hand to flatten the latke against the side of the bowl.
- Working in batches of 4 at a time, lay each latke into the oil.
- Keep an eye on the heat and adjust it as necessary, you want the bottom sides browned and crisp but not too dark (about 4 minutes).
- Flip the latkes and cook until evenly browned and crispy.
- Using a spatula, place latkes on paper towel to drain and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Add more oil to pan as needed to make your next batch.