2 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
1/2 cup shelled raw pistachios
1/2 cup raw pepitas
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup hemp seeds
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp maca powder*
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cardamom
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup dried cherries (optional)
*Maca can be found at most health food stores, or online (I use Navitas brand). It’s a nutritionally-dense Peruvian root with a sweet, nutty, almost butterscotch-like flavor that lends itself well to baking.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Combine oats, pistachios, pepitas, coconut flakes, hemp, maca, cinnamon, cardamom and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Combine 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1/3 cup coconut oil; drizzle over the mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread granola into an even layer.
- Lightly drizzle honey over the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown, checking every 15 minutes. (Note: You can opt to give the batch a stir halfway through, though I like to leave mine untouched so that it has bigger clusters at the end). Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Break apart into large chunks, and add some dried cherries or other fruit (currants, raisins) if you like.