- 1 bunch red beets with greens (about 3-4 medium beets)
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 shallots, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. orecchiette pasta
- 1 4 oz. package of goat cheese
- parmesan cheese for grating
- salt and pepper
- preheat oven to 425°
- Generously wash the beets with their greens attached. Remove the greens at the beet bulb. Place each beet individually on foil, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, and seal the foil. Place the 3-4 beets on a sheet pan and roast for 40 minutes.
- While the beets roast, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta to al dente. Chop the leafy portion of the beet greens into ½” strips and set aside. Heat a 10-12” skillet over medium to high heat. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil. Sauté the garlic and shallots until softened and lightly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the beet greens and sauté 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl add the goat cheese and ¼ cup of water. Using a fork mix the water into the cheese until all lumps are removed and you are left with a creamy consistency. Add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time. The consistence should be as loose as sour cream.
- Allow the beets to cool once you remove them from the oven. Using your fingers pinch the exterior of the beets to remove the skin. Halve the beets and cut them into ½ inch cubes.
- When you drain the pasta reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water. Immediately add the pasta to the sautéed greens in the skillet. Add the cubed beets and toss to combine. If the mixture needs loosening, add about ¼ cup of the cooking water at a time to create a loose sauce.
- Plate the pasta individually with a dollop of the goat cheese, fresh shaved parmesan, and fresh cracked pepper.