- 1/2 bottles of wine
- 1 small onion split in half and blackend in a skillet
- 5 large onions split in half
- 3 pieces of cloves stuck in one half of an onion
- 1 pound of shallots peeled
- 1 bunches of celery
- 1 heads of fennel split in half
- 1 celery root peeled and quartered
- 3 leeks
- 2 small heads of garlic
- Bouquet garni
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 pound of button mushrooms
- 1 granny smith apple
- 4 turnips about the side of baseball
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 10 sprigs of thyme, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 bay leaf (in a sachet)
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of sunflower sprouts
1. Reduce wine in a large pot until the alcohol is cooked off then add all vegetables except the button mushrooms and apple
2. Cover with 2 times the amount of water than that of vegetables.
3. Cook for one hour and then add button mushrooms
4. After cooking for 30 minutes add granny smith apple and cook for 15 more minutes
5. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, and reduce by 3/4, or until full flavor and amber in color. season with sea salt
1. Peel turnips and split in half, cutting them into the shape of a puck. Cook the trim, but not the peelings, with 3 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds until soft. Puree together and season with salt.
2. Sear the turnips in a pan, using a neutral oil, like grapeseed. Once they had achieved a nice golden color add two tablespoons of honey. When the honey begins to caramelize and 1 cup of orange juice and half a cup of lemon juice. Place a cartouche over the turnips and reduce heat to a simmer, adding water if the braising liquid gets to thick until tender. remove turnips and reduce braising liquid down to a glaze.
3. Glaze the turnips and finish with lemon zest, parsley. Cover the turnip with the puree, and sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top.
4. Place the turnip in the bowl and cover with the sprouts. Pour consommé