- For the dressing:
For the salad:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1 lemon’s worth)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups red grapes, washed but left on the stem
- 1 small acorn squash
- 2 small red onions
- olive oil spray or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- 2 bunches lacinato or purple kale
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- First make the dressing as it tastes best after sitting for at least 30 minutes. Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor and whirl until emulsified. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with olive oil. Slice squash into 1/2 inch rounds, remove seeds, and lay flat in a single layer on baking sheet. Spritz with a little more oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender, then remove from baking sheet to cooling rack and let cool.
- Using the same baking sheet, slice onions into 1/4 inch rounds and repeat roasting process as above. Let cool. To roast the grapes, place bunches (still on stem) onto the baking sheet. Spritz with oil, lightly salt, then bake for 20 minutes or until juice begins to run and grapes start to expand in their skin. Let cool.
- Heat a dry pan on the stove over medium heat. Toast pine nuts until lightly browned, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel and let cool.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. While quinoa is still hot, assemble the salad. Trim stems from kale and chop the leaves into ribbons. Toss kale with hot quinoa and about 4 tablespoons dressing. Toss in grated cheese. Transfer to serving platter and layer additional ingredients over kale: squash rings, onion slices, grape bunches, and sprinkled pine nuts. Finish with an additional drizzle of dressing, a sprinkle of cheese, and serve!