Inspired presentation elevates anything it touches, always. A thoughtfully-wrapped present is like the gift before the gift. So after being utterly swooned by the hand-dyed holiday wrapping Professional Gifter Simone LeBlanc created for EyeSwoon this past winter, I jumped at the chance to have her back with another how-to for Mother’s Day. This go-around is springy and Italian minimalist-inspired — more on that below. And like much of Simone’s work, it’s soft and subtle, yet completely stunning. Scroll down for directions to recreate the wrapping for your mama!“ "And because the materials are all so swoon-worthy, the end result pretty much can’t fall short." -Simone LeBlanc
Gift Wrapping How-To
By Simone LeBlanc
What inspired this style of wrapping?
Lately, we’ve been feeling inspired by luxe Italian minimalist design, the unique brand of romance and modernism of that soft-focus pastel dreamworld of interiors and art of the late 1980s. So, for this wrapping style, we looked to create an artful moment— a mini sculpture whose impact was simple yet luxurious. And because the materials are all so swoon-worthy, the end result pretty much can’t fall short.
How did you approach this season’s gifts?
We found inspiration in the feelings we hope to evoke when we give someone we care about a gift (rather than simply necessity or obligation!). We were also inspired by the modern notion that yes, less is more — but if this is the case, less needs to better. We really dug deep to connect products, design, details and color palettes to tell each story and evoke the emotion inspired by all the celebrations, congratulations or “just because” moments in life.
Tell us a little about your Mother’s Day gift boxes.
Garden Bloom Gift Box with Rosé. A classically ladylike Mother’s Day gift inspired by the romance of springtime gardens in bloom.
Indulgence Spa Gift Box. This gift box is the equivalent of sending mom off on a weekend getaway of “me” time. Pure swoony indulgence.
The Fine Baker Gift Box. I love the warmth, love and quality time associated with baking. This gift was inspired by the idea of the kitchen as the heart of a home and by the sweetness of memories made and recipes handed down.
Nourish Geode. This is the perfect little bundle meant to inspire nourishment, self-care and a moment to one’s self to enjoy a little bit of beauty.
A Joyful Morning Gift Box. This gift was inspired by the the classic Mother’s Day gesture of breakfast in bed.
What you'll need
- Florals: We selected dried pods and flowers, but you can use anything that has a shape and will not disintegrate upon spray painting. Even foraged leaves will do.
- A few colors of spray paint in unexpected hues, like the metallics and pastels shown here
- Solid-color wrapping paper as your canvas
- A few fresh-cut florals for added embellishment
- Neatly wrap your gift with the solid wrapping paper.
- Lay your dried florals out on newspaper and spray paint them in a variety of hues to create your color palette.
- Assemble the florals on the package, working to create a “moment” with color and shape, height and body. Opt for asymmetry and unexpected juxtapositions like a metallic painted floral or periwinkle painted sprig alongside a fresh garden rose.
- Tie the pieces together with twine. Or if you want to keep it even simpler, you can even use a glue gun.
- Wrap ribbon around the gift and add on top of your mini sculpture.
- Fasten with twine or a glue gun.
We love the asymmetry and surprise of the look, so don’t worry about perfection. Voilà!