Berries are the fruit we all crave, all summer long. And while we’re sure no one would complain if you tossed them in a bowl and called it a day this 4th of July, we’re sharing an oldie-but-goodie recipe from the EyeSwoon archives to help crank up the swoon factor instead. It’s incredibly easy to prepare — 10 minutes of cooking, 15 minutes of cooling and you’re ready to dig in. With the red-white-and-blue combo of blackberries, raspberries and coconut ice cream, it’s a definite crowd-pleaser and about as festive as it gets!
Berry Coconut Gazpacho With Purple Basil
adapted from bon appétit
- 3 cups mixed berries (about 1 lb) raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 3 sprigs purple basil, torn into pieces, plus small leaves for garnish
- Extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- Freshly ground black pepper & Maldon sea salt
- Coconut ice cream
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium heatproof bowl; toss to coat. Place over a large saucepan of simmering water; cook for 10 minutes. If using blackberries or blueberries cook separate to not darken the vibrant fuchsia color of sauce.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then chill until cold. Strain the sauce and set aside. Berries and sauce can be prepared 1 day in advance and kept chilled.
- Divide juice to fill the bottom of individual bowls, place fruit atop. Drizzle with oil, garnish with purple basil leaves and pepper + sea salt, and top with a scoop of coconut ice cream.
The 10 Essentials | Design