- 1/2 cup honey
- Cinnamon stick
- Place honey and cinnamon stick in a pot and heat on low for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, pour into a bottle with cinnamon stick and let sit overnight.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter, cubed into 1 cm pieces, cold – prepare this beforehand
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar, grated
- 3 to 4 apples. I used Macintosh, a new England staple for apple pie, and 1 Granny Smith for extra tartness, peeled, cored and sliced.
- Juice from 1/2 lemon + 1 teaspoon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Egg wash – 1 egg + splash of water, beaten
- Demerara sugar
- Slices of extra-sharp white cheddar
Notes: I used mini tart pans, but you can use any vessel you want – full-size pie pan, cupcake tin, mini cocottes, little tart molds – any will work, just keep an eye on the baking time.